AERIAL SILK DANCE EXPRESSION
This original technique combines the experience acquired in different fields of dancing that Natalia Catanea has learnt and she keep continues her learning, always renewing herself and innovating more in that technique, taking part of diverse dance and aerial classes in Studios from California, New York, Santa Fe,(Argentina), Barcelona, Tenerife, Paris, as various seminars and workshops of aerial work, contemporary dance, aerial dance, urban contemporary, street jazz, street dance, contact improvisation, dance therapy, and more. The class consists of a conscious physical preparation on the ground as well as in the air. On the ground we unite elements of contemporary dance, contact improvisation, yoga, stretching and corrections of posture. All of this helps us to amplify and develop our capability to learn from a collaboration with a partner, observing, respecting and communicating with one another. We’ll also help each other to correct the posture and to explore our own bodies and its possibilities. We’ll establish an environment of trust and confidence to achieve self-discovery with exercises based on non verbal expression and dialogue. Our goal focuses on finding the sensitivity of artistic expression in our creativity. In our courses the most important values are the physical conscience on the ground and in the air, the connection to the music, the tempo, the silk and learning from a choreographic composition, the knowledge of the relations between the positions and sequences. From the beginning we’ll establish a relationship with the element silk as part of us.
This method allows us to explore the space in the air and the space at the ground from a dancing perspective, with its multiple artistic and expressive possibilities. Fusing the two levels as they are: earth and air, low and high. Giving us as a final result, a group dance, a contemporary and aerial silk ballet. Preparing and opening as to the possibility of scenic performances and choreographic compositions. Regardless of having or not prior experience and where age is not an important factor.
In each training session, a work routine is created in which we will be developing: Floor work: Alignment and muscle tone, stretching, figures, dance steps, combos, choreographies, body expression and dancing improvisation, communication (gesture, contact). Aerial Dance Techniques: high flights, low flights. Sequences in the air: strength and suspension. Working with: Balance, inverts, contact–silk (land and air union), climbs, silks, trapeze, aerial hoop, sequences, aerial choreographies (ballet on the air), drops, dismount (body control and safety) and transitions.
- Dynamic Warm-up: A mixture of contemporary dance and physical theater exercises. Designed to reinforce the work on air. Rythm, movement and musik working together and focusing on activating the muscles of the whole body.
- Jumps and Drops through space.
- Corporal segmentation.
- Diagonals, emphasizing the lower extremities.
- Floor work. Using gravity and employing corporal segments as motion vectors.
- Verticals on ground and wall.
- Semi-acrobatic figures on the ground, preparatory exercises and advanced sequences.
- Handstands free and on the wall.
- Use and manipulation of objects (sticks) in pairs and teams. Study of the functionality and quality of motion.
- The creation of movement sheets from iconography and physical actions, air work.
- Dynamic warm-up with the silk from the ground, focusing on the muscles of the arms, shoulders and back. During this process we will perform inverts, scissors and pigeon sequences.
- Sequences on the Knot: focusing on technique, creativity and empowerment (Practice of the knot at a height close to the ground and the introduction of dance moves and correct positioning, fundamental to this discipline). Several sequences on the knot and their variations, that will be expanded and fixed along the course. Posibbilities, figures and transitions.
- Basic climbing techniques (hip, belly, tube), basic foot knot, etc.
- Aerial Contemporary Dance. Different figures and transitions on the Silk.
- Choreographic composition. The come together of all the different things learned during the course (aerial and floor work), in order to set up a scenic performance (staging).